Contact Us / FAQs

To make it easier on you, we've answered many of your questions in the FAQs below. Save time and take a quick look before you reach out.

TOS Membership Questions

I forgot my TOS username or password – what do I do to retrieve them?

Access the Member Center page here and select either “Forgot your password?” or “Forgot your username?” You will then be prompted to enter your email. As long as the email matches the email address in your member profile, you will be sent your username or password. If you don’t receive the email in a few minutes, please check your spam mailbox.

How do I update my profile information?

Access your member profile by logging in to the Member Center. Once you have logged in, select “edit profile” in the profile tab on the menu bar.

What is the term of membership?

Your membership runs for exactly one year from the date you join.

How do I join a Section?

Access your member profile by logging in to the Member Center. Once you have logged in, select “edit profile” in the tab on the menu bar. Scroll down to the Sections options and select the Section wish to join. You may find more information about Sections here.

How do I join a committee?

Email Regina Williams at rwilliams@obesity.org and let her know of your interest in serving on a specific committee. Also keep an eye out for the annual call for volunteers in the summer. 

Obesity Journal Questions

I didn’t receive this month’s issue of the journal, Obesity. Who should I contact?

Confirm that your mailing address is correct in your member profile; you can do this by logging in to the Member Center and editing your profile. You can then contact customer service at Wiley, our journal publisher, at cs-journals@wiley.com.

How do I access the online version of the journal, Obesity?

Access your member profile by logging in to the Member Center. Once you have logged in, select “Read the Journal- Obesity” on the left side.

How can I get a copy of an article from Obesity?

You can call our main number, 301-563-6526, and ask for the Editorial Coordinator. She will be happy to get you a copy of an article.

Award and Grant Questions

Am I eligible for The Obesity Society’s Early-Career Research Grants?

If you are a TOS member and have received a doctorate within the past five years and currently hold a full-time, entry-level position (e.g., post-doctoral fellow, instructor, assistant professor) at an established academic/research institution, you may apply. You will also need to submit a Student Certification Letter (confirming their postdoctoral status). Contact Regina Williams at rwilliams@obesity.org for more information. 

When individuals apply for the Early-Career Research Grant, does his or her Principle Investigator (PI) need to be a TOS member?

Yes. The PI and mentor are required to be TOS members; co-investigators are not. Contact Regina Williams at rwilliams@obesity.org, for more information. 

Who can apply for TOS’s mid-career grants?

Candidates should typically be in the mid-career stage at the late Assistant to early Associate Professor level or at an equivalent non-academic rank, and must have an established record of publication and independent, peer-reviewed research grant funding (not exceeding $500,000 per year) at the time of application. Candidates should not be beyond 15 years of award of their highest degree. Contact Regina Williams at rwilliams@obesity.org, for more information. 

ObesityWeek Questions

Do I have to be registered for TOS's Annual Meeting before submitting an abstract?

No; abstracts are submitted by both ObesityWeek attendees and non-attendees. If your abstract is accepted, we encourage you to register for the annual meeting and attend to present your research in person.

General Obesity Questions

There is information I am looking for that is not on this website; can you help me?

We have tried to present as much information as possible in this site; however, we recognize that many questions are still left unanswered. We have found that that NIH and CDC both provide excellent resources for obesity statistics. You can find links to these websites in our Links Library.

I need treatment for overweight or obesity; can you give me a medical referral?

The Obesity Society does not provide medical referrals. However, the following options are available for seeking treatment:  You can contact your local medical school and inquire about obesity treatment centers in your area. You can check the Links Library section of our website for information on clinical research trials. You can also review our Clinician Directory to find a specialist in your area. 

I am looking for statistics on obesity; where do I find them?

For your convenience we have developed an obesity statistics fact sheet. If the statistics you are searching for are not there, you can review the rest of our obesity fact sheets

I am researching a special topic on obesity for academic reasons. Where do I find information?

We recommend that you take advantage of our scientific journal, Obesity, the leading peer-reviewed journal on the subject of obesity and the second-leading peer-reviewed journal in nutrition and dietetics. The journal periodically addresses special topics in supplements as well.

Is there a link between obesity and cancer?

Yes, some cancers are more common for overweight individuals. You can access our obesity and cancer fact sheet here

Is it true that there is a link between diabetes and overweight?

Yes, find out more by reviewing our diabetes fact sheet.

How common is childhood obesity in the US?

Childhood obesity is a significant problem today. Childhood obesity has tripled since 1980 and more than 16% of children ages 6-12 are obese. Review our childhood obesity fact sheet for more information. 

Still have questions? You can find contact information for all TOS staff members here.