CALL FOR PAPERS: 4th Annual Obesity Journal Symposium
Highlighting the Journal’s Top Papers at ObesityWeekSM 2016
The Editorial Team of Obesity seeks submission of high-quality manuscripts for the 4th annual Obesity Journal Symposium to be presented at ObesityWeek 2016 in New Orleans, LA. The Editors will select four winning papers to be presented at this symposium during The Obesity Society meeting October 31-November 5, 2016 (exact date and time to be announced). The session will be promoted to the obesity research community and to the press. In addition, the winning papers will be published in a special section of the November 2016 issue of Obesity.
Obesity Journal Symposium presentations: An author of each winning paper will give a 10-minute oral presentation followed by a five-minute discussion. Continuing medical education (CME) credit will be offered for ObesityWeek participants who attend the Symposium.
Obesity publication: A special section at the front of the November 2016 issue of Obesity will be reserved for the Symposium winners.
NEW THIS YEAR:
Free ObesityWeek registration for winners. As invited speakers, the four presenting authors will be able to register for the meeting free of charge.
Rapid publication of Symposium submissions. Submissions accepted by the journal but not chosen as winners during judging in mid-July will be published as “Original Articles" immediately (following author approval of manuscript proofs).
Criteria for selection of winners:
- For scoring of manuscripts, highest priority will be given to novel studies that expand scientific knowledge of:
- The mechanisms underlying obesity
- Prevention and treatment of obesity
- The translation of findings from the lab to the clinic and from the clinic to the community
- We seek state-of-the-art papers dealing with the mechanisms of the control of energy balance, innovative clinical or translational studies that challenge current paradigms, and novel “proof of concept” studies.
- Authors must abide by the instructions for authors available at the Obesity submission site. When submitting your manuscript, follow the instructions for Original Articles but select “Obesity Symposium” as the Manuscript Type. Please note that the usual page charges policies will apply to all manuscripts accepted for publication.
- At submission, authors must mention the 4th Annual Obesity Journal Symposium in the cover letter accompanying their manuscript.
- An author of each winning paper must agree to attend the Obesity Journal Symposium to present the paper. Presenters will receive complimentary meeting registration; however, other travel funds are not available from Obesity.
- The presenting author must be a current member of The Obesity Society. Join here.
- Authors who enter the competition must agree to continue consideration for publication in Obesity if their paper is accepted for journal publication but is not selected as a Symposium winner.
- The deadline for online manuscript submission is June 1, 2016.
To be considered for the Obesity Journal Symposium, please submit your manuscript online by June 1, 2016.
Frequently asked questions:
When will I know my paper has been selected for presentation at the Obesity Journal Symposium?
For papers entering the competition and submitted by June 1, 2016, this subset of papers will be fast-track reviewed, with the winners announced during summer 2016.
What happens to my paper if it is not selected as an Obesity Journal Symposium winner?
Manuscripts accepted for journal publication but not selected as Symposium winners during judging in mid-July will be published online immediately upon approval of author proofs (unless the ObesityWeek embargo policy applies - see below).
Does submission of a manuscript mean that I can’t submit a poster or oral presentation of the work?
We encourage researchers submitting ObesityWeek abstracts to also submit their full papers for consideration in the Obesity Journal Symposium. However, if your manuscript is selected as a Symposium winner, you will be asked to withdraw your poster or oral presentation. In addition, if your abstract-related manuscript is not selected as a winner but is accepted by the journal, online publication will not occur until after the ObesityWeek embargo period ends.
If my manuscript is selected for the Obesity Journal Symposium, will I get free registration for ObesityWeek? Will my travel be paid for by The Obesity Society or by Obesity? Will I receive an honorarium?
The presenting author for each winning paper will receive complimentary ObesityWeek registration; however, other travel expenses cannot be paid by the journal or The Obesity Society. You will not receive an honorarium. Please note that the journal’s page charges policy will apply for all submissions accepted for publication.
If you have any questions about the competition, please contact the journal staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.