Weight Watchers and The Obesity Society have partnered to create the Karen Miller-Kovach Research Grant.
Type of research eligible for award:
The grant will focus on the development of a scalable, behavioral weight-loss intervention that includes digital tools.
One grant will be funded for $50,000 for a one-year period.
- All members of The Obesity Society (domestic or international) are eligible for the grant.
- All career levels are eligible for the grant.
- Applications from post-doctoral research fellows must have a mentor who is a current TOS member and be a member in their own right.
- Principal Investigators may only submit ONE application for this grant opportunity.
How to Apply
- Prepare a one-page cover page in Microsoft Word (see downloadable template in the link below).
- Describe the scientific project, including AIMS, hypotheses, and how the study is new and innovative, on a maximum of 1 page on Institutional letterhead, 1-inch margins, font-size no smaller than 11-point font.
- Prepare an NIH-style biosketch of the PI (both the old and new NIH formats are acceptable).
- Create one PDF of the above listed documents with the file name: First Intitial.LastName-2015-WeightWatchers-LOI.
- CLICK HERE to submit by Wednesday, July 29, 2015 @ 11:59 pm Eastern Time. The PI may only be awarded ONE Novo Nordisk research grant for the current grant year.
Files (MS Word) are downloadable from the link below.
Successful applicants selected by TOS's Scientific Review Committee* will be notified by August 14, 2015 to submit a full 4-page proposal along with timeline, budget, and biosketches (2-page maximum) for each investigator and mentor (if applicable).
*Weight Watchers is not involved in the selection criteria and all inquiries should be directed to TOS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criteria for evaluating applications
- Responsiveness to the intent of the announcement
- Novelty of the research
- Feasibility of producing meaningful research results within one year of the grant
- Scientific design
- Feasibility of meeting budgetary constraints
- Adequacy of proposed timeline and schedule of deliverables
- Letter of Intent (LOI) Submission Deadline: July 29, 2015
- Full Proposal Request Notification (tentative): August 14, 2015
- Full Proposal Submission Deadline (tenative): September 14, 2015
- Grant Recipient Notified: September 30, 2015
- Grant Start Date: Approximately November 1, 2015
- Research Completed: One year from Start Date November 1, 2016
- Final Report and Financial Statement Due: One year from Start Date November 1, 2016
For more information
For additional details regarding this grant, please contact Trimmer Green via email at email@example.com or at 240-485-1955 by phone. For a list of frequently asked questions, you can download the pdf here.