This program (formerly, New Investigator Research Grants) is offered by The Obesity Society (TOS), as a member service, to foster and stimulate new research ideas in any area of investigation related to obesity. The program targets junior-level investigators and post-doctoral trainees by funding proposals that demonstrate a high likelihood of resulting in new and innovative approaches in obesity research.
Early career investigators are defined as individuals who:
- Have received a PhD within the past five years or MD within the past eight years
- Currently hold full-time, entry-level positions (e.g., post-doctoral fellow, instructor, assistant professor) at an established academic/research institution
Applicants may request up to $25,000. No indirect cost will be paid from this grant. Applications (Letters of Intent) are due Friday, July 15, 2016. The award may be expended over a period of up to one year.
The following applies to the Principal Investigator only:
- Member of TOS (domestic or international)
- Junior investigator or post-doctoral research fellow:
- PhD within the past five years or MD within the past eight years
- No previous major research funds as PI (e.g. RO1, UO1, PO1, P510), and any extramural funding totaling more than $250,000 per year of direct costs
- Potential to generate future funding
- Applications from postdoctoral research fellows must have a mentor who is a current TOS member
- PhD: obtained not earlier than September 1, 2010; MD: obtained not earlier than September 1, 2007. Applicants may not be a post-doctoral fellow for more than five years.
How to Apply
- Prepare a one-page letter of intent cover page (MS Word) downloadable here.
- Describe the scientific project, including AIMS and hypotheses, on a maximum of one page on institutional letterhead, one inch margins, font size no smaller than 11 point font
- Prepare an NIH style biosketch (two page maximum) of the principal investigator, if the principal investigator is a postdoctoral fellow, the biosketch of the mentor should also be included. The TOS Biosketch is downloadable here. (PI and postdoctoral mentor, if applicable)
- Please create one PDF with the letter of intent and biosketch with the file name: LASTNAME_FIRSTINITIAL_2016ECRG_LOI then click here to submit by Friday, July 15, 2016 at 11:59 pm ET.
Note: The PI may only submit ONE ECRG application for the current grant year.
Successful applicants selected by TOS's Scientific Review Committee will be notified by Friday, August 5, 2016 to submit a full four-page proposal along with timeline, budget, and biosketches (two page maximum) for each investigator and mentor (if applicable).
Criteria for evaluating applications
- Responsiveness to the intent of the announcement
- Novelty of the research
- Feasibility of producing meaningful research results within one year of the grant
- Scientific design
- Feasibility of meeting budgetary constraints
- Adequacy of proposed timeline and schedule of deliverables
- Letter of Intent Submission Deadline: July 15, 2016
- Full Proposal Request Notification: August 5, 2016
- Full Proposal Submission Deadline: August 26, 2016
- Grant Recipient Notified: September 16, 2016