The Obesity Society’s Annual Scientific Meeting has grown to be one of the world’s largest gatherings of obesity professionals at all stages of their careers, including leading obesity scientists presenting cutting-edge research. The meeting brings together the leading players in the field of obesity from world-renowned speakers, researchers and clinicians to educators, advocates, policymakers and practitioners. And, it provides essential educational and networking opportunities and is a forum for increasing knowledge, stimulating research, and promoting better treatment for those affected by this disease.
ObesityWeek is the combined annual meeting of The Obesity Society (TOS) and the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). The preeminent annual scientific and educational conference covers the full scope of the obesity issue, from cutting edge basic science and clinical research to intervention and public policy discussions that can impact the quality of life for millions affected by obesity.
TOS call for Symposium Submissions was open from November 17, 2017 to January 2, 2018. There were opportunities to submit brief ideas or full-symposium proposals. Decision notifications were sent by email from email@example.com.
TOS call for Abstracts will be open from April 6 to May 1, 2018.
TOS late-breaking call for Abstracts will be open from July 20 to August 6, 2018.
Who Should Attend?
The session topics and presentations selected by the members of the Annual Scientific Meeting Program Committee are intended to meet the needs of researchers and healthcare professionals who want to be updated on advances in the prevention, treatment, causes, and health consequences of obesity. This includes basic and clinical research scientists, physicians (general medicine, internal medicine, family medicine, endocrinology, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry), dietitians, psychologists, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, rehabilitation/exercise therapists, physical/occupational therapists, clinicians, nutritionists, trainees, students, social workers, policy makers and administrators with an interest in adult and childhood obesity and other allied health professionals.
The editorial team of Obesity, the leading peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field, hosted the 5th annual Obesity Journal Symposium at ObesityWeek. The Editors selected five winning papers that provide the latest insights into preventing and treating obesity through innovative research designs. The authors of each winning paper gave a 10-minute oral presentation followed by a 5-minute discussion. The papers are also featured in a special section of the November 2017 issue of Obesity.
Congratulations to the winners of our 2017 Symposium:
- Kristen M. Beavers, PhD, MPH, RD: Effect of Exercise Type during Intentional Weight Loss on Body Composition in Older Adults with Obesity
- Ariana M. Chao, PhD, NP: Binge Eating and Weight Loss Outcomes in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: 4-Year Results from the Look AHEAD Study
- Claudio Perez Leighton, PhD: The Food Environment, Preference, and Experience Modulate the Effects of Exendin-4 on Food Intake and Reward
- Jennifer C. Kerns, MD, MSHS: Increased Physical Activity was Associated with Less Weight Regain Six Years After “The Biggest Loser” Competition
- Alaina L. Pearce, MA: Effect of Adolescent Bariatric Surgery on the Brain and Cognition: A Pilot Study
Read the winning papers from the 2017 competition here.
Find TOS meeting abstracts posted here.
To cite a TOS abstract, please use the following pattern:
[Author last name, first initial]. [Title of Abstract]. The Obesity Society Annual Meeting at ObesityWeek [year]. [Date published]. [link]. Accessed [date].
Did you get your professional photo taken at the ObesityWeek photobooth?
Here is the link for the headshots. http://photos.tkgstudios.com/ow2017headshots
1. Go to website put your name and email address in to enter site.
2. Find your headshot or photo and click on it.
3. Click download button, then click "original" in dropdown menu.
4. Once you have chosen all your original photos proceed to checkout.
5. Once checked out a link will be sent to you with all your photos to download.
Find issues of ObesityWeek News and subscribe to future issues here.
Did you miss the meeting? Purchase ObesityWeek On Demand to experience it for yourself!
Future ObesityWeek Meetings
November 4-8, 2019 - Las Vegas, Nevada (Mandalay Bay)