Sponsorship & Exhibits Manager
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director of Meetings and Education
This is a newly created position. Accepting resumes and cover letters beginning January 11, 2023. Send to Anita Wiler, CMP, Sr. Director of Meetings and Education at [email protected]. Please address the requirements (listed below in the REQUIRED section) in your cover letter.
The Obesity Society (TOS) is the leading non-profit, voluntary association whose purpose is to develop, extend and disseminate knowledge in the field of obesity. Composed of approximately 2,800 researchers and clinicians, the Society conducts the largest scientific meeting on obesity each year and is involved in advocacy, education and expanding public awareness.
The Sponsorship & Exhibits Manager will work with potential sponsors/exhibitors, vendors, and staff to market, sell, and fulfill all aspects of exhibit, sponsorship, and corporate supported symposia at ObesityWeek® for approximately 50% of the position. The other 50% will be spent assisting staff in the administration of ObesityWeek®, webinars, pre-conferences, and other meeting-related duties as assigned. The ideal individual will have excellent communication skills with relationship-building expertise. The person will be service-oriented, organized, detailed, self-motivated, and experienced in technology and online applications, who can work well as a team member in a small non-profit association environment where everyone wears multiple hats.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
- Relationship-building skill set
- Experience with exhibit and sponsorship management
- B-to-B sales experience with proven success ($500,000 per year or more)
- Experience with software packages mentioned below (or similar packages)
- Overall computer/technology aptitude and the ability to learn new technology skills quickly
- Exhibit/sponsorship marketing experience
- Medical/scientific association experience preferred. CME experience a plus.
- Preference for Bachelor’s Degree or higher, or equivalent experience
- Attention to detail, including editing and grammar skills
Exhibits, Sponsorship/Advertising, and Corporate Supported Symposia sales & services for ObesityWeek® including:
- Create sponsor/advertiser packages (including profit calculations and post-event reconciliation)
- Use business acumen to craft and implement strategies to maximize sales
- Generate and pursue sales leads to secure sales via phone, email, and advertising
- Keep accurate records of leads, sales, priority points
- Work with marketing to create and send sales emails
- Update forms, sales materials, and web pages using Microsoft suite, Adobe Acrobat, WordPress, and Canva
- Use databases to search and record information (Planstone, MemberSuite, or other)
- Develop systems and processes for sales fulfillment
- Assign booths according to priority points
- Manage GES decorator, including floor plan development, deliverables, and billing
- Manage Exhibits/Sponsor/Advertiser fulfillment
- Manage traffic builders in exhibit hall (dog park, entertainers, games)
- Manage CSS sales and fulfillment, including AV, catering, onsite support, web updates, graphics, program materials, and post-event follow up
- Coordinate creation and distribution of registration and exhibit kit links to exhibitors/sponsors
- Ensure payments are received before conference and coded to correct accounts
- Manage listings in conference app
- Manage sponsor package fulfillment
- Ensure ACCME rules regarding commercial support are followed
- Travel to ObesityWeek® for one week each Oct/Nov to oversee exhibit hall, sponsorship, and CSS
- Possibility of travel for 2-day site visit each spring
- Conduct post-conference exhibitor/sponsor surveys, analyze results, produce reports, and make recommendations
- Track results year-over-year
- Maintain records on leads and sales
- Research related industries and solicit member ideas to add to leads
- Develop marketing strategies to increase sales with the collaboration of team members
- 50% of other duties as assigned in support of Meetings, Education, and Marketing Department and the association as a whole.
- Other duties as assigned are likely to include administrative tasks such as compiling reports and creating documents in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; creating graphics in Canva; reimbursement processing; answering emails and calls from members; database entry/cleanup; or any other task.
- Depending on expertise, skill, and interest, other duties could also include working on contracts and negotiations, website update and design, marketing support, budgeting/reconciliation, database buildouts, API integration project management, or any other project.
TOS’s current benefits package includes:
- Work from home and/or in Rockville, MD office (If in Washington, DC area, 4 days remote/1 in office per week. Full time remote if located outside the area.)
- 35 hour standard work week, with flexible start and end times
- Starting annual paid time off: 10 vacation days (vacation increases by a week at 3 and 7 year mark) + 2 personal days + 10 days sick + 11 national holidays + typically December 26-31 holiday week and conference comp time (both at the discretion of management)
- Employer pays 100% of health, dental, and vision insurance premium for individual employee (family coverage difference is the responsibility of employee) (CareFirst BCBS network)
- Employer matches up to 5% employee 403B contributions, 100% vested at 3 years
- Employer pays 100% of Life Insurance, Short-term Disability Insurance, and Long-term Disability Insurance premium for employee
- Optional: FSA account for health and dependent care expenses
Last Updated January 11, 2023.