OUR VISION: Solving the challenges of obesity through deeper understanding and coordinated action.
OUR MISSION: The mission of The Obesity Society (TOS) is to advocate and promote the highest quality in research, clinical care, education, and policy development to address the needs of people living with obesity. In addition, we offer our members a community to facilitate professional networking with peers in all fields related to obesity. The Obesity Society’s membership is open to all individuals with a professional interest in obesity, and TOS recognizes the importance of diverse perspectives and experiences in our efforts to better understand, treat, and prevent obesity. The Obesity Society is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive organization. We encourage participation of individuals of all backgrounds, regardless of race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, body size or economic circumstances. We strive to be a leading force in furthering the scientific understanding of obesity and to highlight and promote equitable access to the best evidenced-based practice for its prevention and treatment while working with partner organizations to eliminate the stigma and discrimination associated with this chronic disease.
OUR VALUES: Rigorous science, highest professional standards, and strength through diversity.
The Obesity Society, its members and staff pledge to uphold:
- Compassion for the lives and situations of those living with obesity.
- Responsibility for advocacy, treatment and investigation, all working toward a cure for obesity.
- Respect for each other and all who are touched by obesity.
- Progress for furthering knowledge about obesity using appropriate scientific standards.
- Mentorship for helping, teaching and supporting our colleagues.
- Highest Ethical Standards for all our actions, writings, programs, and services.